Saturday, May 15, 2010

on homecoming.

pt. 1, the adults.

1.  oh, so i see you cut all your hair off.
2. oh, so you did it, huh?
3. apparently now, i've become deviant.
4. what type of job do i think i'm gonna get with this haircut?
5. you had all that beautiful hair and you just cut it, to wear it like that.
6. you've gone from "A class" to "C class"
7. damn. just because I cut off my locs?
8. i had never realized that there were tiers in how far from the norm you can go with having natural hair. i guess my locs were my way of being natural but still acceptable.
9. now you just got a poof, hair sitting in the middle of your head.
10. maybe we can grease it and curl it. you should straighten it. maybe i can twist it.
11. it doesn't look like anything.
12. you know, you've been coastin' up there at college and i haven't said anything but you better figure it out. you go to that prestigious school and you need to know what you're gonna do.
13. with the rest of my life, the day i move out from my dorm in my junior year?
14. you know, people ask me what you're studying, what you wanna do and i don't have an answer. at one point you were talkin about premed... this was the first month of freshman year.
15. oh, you wanna be a writer? you never told me that. i just heard you mention this "poetry."
16. (my favorite before this last "duh" realization) you're about to go into the corporate world. excuse me?
17. you look like you going through something. it looks like you just cut your hair because you going through something.
18. i am. but i am also not the same girl i was in high school. that would actually kind of be a problem if i still was at this point. i need room to come home with my locs cut off and not be told that i "played down my looks" and have now become "C class."
19. oh, you're still beautiful. it's just, you just cut it all off. you had beautiful locs. it just doesn't look nice. it looks dry. was so and so licensed? we coulda took you to a place here. we'll take you to fix it.
20. what look were you going for? just explain to me, because i don't understand.
21. no, not at all.





No comments:

Post a Comment